Safety at the Beach
By: Marko Grbesa MS, AT, ATC
Athletic Trainer at Eaton Rapids High School
Orthopaedic Rehab Specialists
Summer is here and with it comes time for some fun in the sun. When the weather gets warmer, people often will head to the beach to have some fun. While the sun and the water can be a lot of fun, they can also be a danger. So it is important to take precautions when planning your trip to the beach. Some tips to help protect you from the sun's rays include:
- Wear sunscreen. It should be broad spectrum and have a SPF of at least 30.
- Stay out of the sun during peak hours: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Find some shade. If you're not swimming or doing a beach activity, find a place to give your skin a break from the sun.
Water safety is also important to keep in mind during a trip to the beach. Some tips to keep safe in the water include:
- Swimming within sight of a lifeguard.
- Reading and obeying all rules and posted signs.
- If you are with small children, make sure they swim within your view.
Make sure that your next trip to the beach is not only fun, but safe, too!
Marko is the Licensed Athletic Trainer at Eaton Rapids High School and can be reached at email@example.com