Aquatic Therapy Clinic
211 S. East Ave, Jackson, MI 49201
The aquatic environment can benefit your Physical Therapy outcome with the unique properties of water:
- Viscosity – Increased proprioceptive input to joints with different movements to increase body awareness, timing, and motor planning.
- Buoyancy – Allows you to work against gravity with decreased weight through your joints. This will make it easier to increase repetitions without fatigue. Decreased impact from gravity may decrease pain.
- Surface Tension – Helps with body awareness by breaking the surface of the water. Going from underwater to air may help to improve body awareness.
- Hydrostatic Pressure – Constant pressure to the body often has a positive effect on the sensory system.
- Therapeutic Temperature – Our pool is kept at a therapeutic temperature to allow for decreased muscle tension to increase the benefit of your therapy.
While the elderly population benefits greatly from aquatic therapy, it is great for a wide variety of ages, from our youngest patient to our oldest patient. With our Aquatic Therapy staff trained in a variety of techniques, we will tailor your program to you. Aquatic Therapy offers a low-impact treatment option that is great for athletes suffering from overuse injuries as well as athletes trying to prevent overuse injuries.
Aquatic Therapy can be beneficial for several diagnoses:
- Sports injuries
- Spinal, lower back and neck disorders
- Pain management
- Joint replacement
- Orthopedic surgery
- Neurological conditions
- Degenerative joint disease
- Gait and balance disorders
Our Aquatic Center houses a HydroWorx 500 series pool equipped with an underwater treadmill with a low-impact design that provides excellent traction. The treadmill speeds increase from 0 mph to 7.4 mph at 0.1 mph increments to allow for an ideal pace for any patient. Resistance and spa jets are used for swimming or deep tissue massage with variable speeds and directions.